From:
Bruce Littleboy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 08:20:37 -0400
Greetings.

"And Chicago school economics is not a religion?"  (Sumitra Shah)

I would have said a cult, rather than a religion,
except that these days Milton Friedman is
regarded as a moderate compared to the later
champions of the policy ineffectiveness postulate.

Steve Kates correctly writes, "The history of
economics is a necessary part of economics." More
specifically, may I ask about Chicago and their
position on what Keynes really said in relation,
directly or indirectly, to Say's Law? Among many
of the claims made recently about Keynes and
Keynesians during the on-line debate at the
Economist on whether we are Keynesians now,
John Cochrane contributed:

1.
“Nobody is Keynesian now, really. Keynes
distrusted investment [this means what?! BL] and
did not think about growth. … Keynes recommended
that Britain pay for the second world war with taxes.”
[BL Contrast How to Pay for the War! What are
they teaching at Chicago? Serious question.]

2.
“Robert Barro's Ricardian equivalence theorem was
one nail in the coffin. This theorem says that
stimulus cannot work because people know their
taxes must rise in the future. Now, one can argue
with that result. Perhaps more people ignore the
fact that taxes will go up than overestimate
those tax increases. But once enlightened, we
cannot ignore this central question… [G]overnment
must fool people into forgetting about future
taxes, an issue Keynes and Keynesians never thought of.”

Is this true? Was Ricardo’s discussion entirely
overlooked in the late 20s and the 30s? Were
conservatives not making this rhetorical point at
the time? Did classical economists of the era likewise never think of this?

Bruce Littleboy