From:
Bruce Littleboy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:35:02 -0400
(There is an overlap here with the Mints thread.)

I write regarding Pat Gunning (and others) on the
long-argued desirability of disposing of
fractional reserve banking. What follows may not
be HET in Roy's sense, but I think the point is
germane to the current discussion.

Does "economic thought" need to be grounded in
feasibility? Do advocates of this reform not
realise that they would be hoping to wipe out
possibly the most powerful and profitable
industry ever? Aren't these folks bigger than
tobacco and bigger than guns? (Maybe the banking
"system" is the US is mmade up of many small
banks, but here in Australia we the Big Four.)
Does anyone seriously think that any government
would have the practical ability to do this? Is
it legitimate in HET to describe a proposal as
breathtakingly naïve? (For one thing, people's
share portfolios in banks would be slashed in
worth, and there'd be riots in this country.)

"One does not need Keynes to tell us this, does one? On the contrary,
it might not be too far-fetched to peruse that the reason why a 100%
reserve depository system seems so strange today is that the
Keynesian-oriented economics textbooks during the 50s and 60s, and
each of the 'ties since, became fixated on teaching the fractional
reserves system, regulated by the FED, as if it was the final
solution to the monetary problems that are likely to occur during
business cycles, including those of the Great Depression." (Pat Gunning)

The simplest explanation of Keynes's position is
that he has some common sense, isn't it?

Sorry to be so curt.

Bruce Littleboy