From:
"Wells, Julian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2011 14:21:34 +0000
The following is not exactly the *economics* of language(s) -- rather, its statistics -- but the data concerned might inform an economics of language:

* George K. Zipf (1949) Human Behavior and the Principle of Least Effort. Addison-Wesley.
* George K. Zipf (1935) The Psychobiology of Language. Houghton-Mifflin. (see citations at http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/context/64879/0)

Both references are from the Wikipedia page on Zipf's Law -- which, to slightly simplify, says that if you rank a language's words by frequency of use, their frequency will follow a power-law distribution.

Julian

Security System.