From:
Roger Backhouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:39:24 +0100
I should perhaps explain my amazement. The first question to this
thread, I recall, concerned the origin of the phrase "founding
father". People jumped into discuss the "founding" aspect but were
silent on the other aspect of the term, namely the gendered metaphor.
That is what surprised me.

In the context of the USA, for precisely the reasons Weintraub gives,
it makes sense to talk of the country having been founded by those who
signed the constitution. I would presume, though it is not my field,
that American historians have paid attention the significance of the
term "founding fathers". In economics, on the other hand, such
language is much more problematic.

I accept that Smith and many of those who wrote about his work in the
nineteenth century and part of the twentieth, were writing in an age
when people were not sensitive to the gendered nature of such
language. Nowadays, however, we do not have any excuse. With students
who use the term "founding fathers", I simply invite them to reflect
on their use of language. In the same way, I would expect most
contributors to this list to wish to reflect on all aspects of the
term "founding father" and was amazed that no one appeared to be doing
so.

Roger Backhouse