From:
Roger Backhouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2011 21:21:03 +0100
I reply only to David's comments to me, editing the email so as to
reduce the length of the message.  I leave others to take up other
points.

You exclude certain practices from science because they are too vague.
I do not see the basis for this. By the standards of space-telescopes,
the measurements of, say Copernicus or Tycho may have been imprecise,
but does that make them any less scientists? No. You say inflation is
imprecise. But (a) I could say "The government sets its goal as n%
inflation measured by the all items retail price index ... as precise
as you care to make it. (b) There is imprecision and "negotiation" in
science, as much of the sociology of scientific knowledge literature
makes clear. By requiring that science involve the application of
tried and tested theories you are confining science to what might be
called Kuhnian normal science.

In our culture, to call something science is, whether we like it or
not, to express approval, and to say that something is not science is
to denigrate it (I should perhaps add some qualifications about what
the science is being used for, but the point would still stand). Maybe
it should not be like that, but that is the way things are. Thus by
privileging anything that is not precise the effect is to reinforce
the profession's fondness for abstract theory (mathematics is the only
thing that can be completely precise) and, in practice, even if this
is not intended, to denigrate the messier practices of much that
should, in my view, be considered real science because it is trying to
understand what is going on in the world. The goal may be precision
(no quarrel with that) but that is a different issue. Surely
scientists who tackle important problems are scientists as much as
those who leave aside difficult and important problems for easier ones
that they can tackle more rigorously.

That is why I think the science/art of economics distinction is
dangerous (at least today - in other contexts the implications might
be different).

To me, the issues of whether something is science and whether it is
successful science are different. By defining science as being precise
and relying on well-tested theories, you are conflating the two.

Roger