From:
Robert Leeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 08:46:55 -0800
What Hayek published should be assessed separately from what he "thought".  Behind "pretty clear" public logic lies another world which, so far, I have found only one Hayekian understands.

1. In the market for influence, Hayek embraced the Galbraithian model of producer sovereignty: consumers had to be bent to the will of the producer.

For Hayek, conclusions precede justifications: "At first we all felt [Mises] was frightfully exaggerating and even offensive in tone. You see, he hurt all our deepest feelings, but gradually he won us around, although for a long time I had to-- I just learned he was usually right in his conclusions, but I was not completely satisfied with his argument. That, I think, followed me right through my life. I was always influenced by Mises's answers, but not fully satisfied by his arguments. It became very largely an attempt to improve the argument, which I realized led to correct conclusions. But the question of why it hadn't persuaded most other people became important to me; so I became anxious to put it in a more effective form."

Leo Rosten may have come close to understanding Hayek with his reference to Plato's "one royal lie" (which is part of the tradition of political thought).

Rosen also referred to "the religious foundations of a society." Hayek was an atheist who was contemptous of those who believed in "the factual assertions of religion, which are crude because they all believe in ghosts of some kind ... I still don't know what people mean by God ... I don't believe a word of it ... In spite of these strong views I have, I've never publicly argued against religion because I agree that probably most people need it."

2. Hayek embraced "minority privileges" - the illegal Hapsburg intergenerational entitlement program and the associated aristocratic lifetsyle.

3. Trade sanctions do not represent "interference with the policy of other countries" - they were designed as an incentive structure to encourage "free immigration" (or more accurately the abolition of the pass laws) etc. Hayek approved of the free flow of goods and services within the Hapsburg Empire - but not the free flow of labour (or at least the migration of a certain type of Jew into Vienna). Not that Hayek was particularly anti-Semetic: but the same arguments were used to justify the apartheid pass laws.

4. Hayek's "thought" cannot adequately be captured by phrases such as he "defended a system of national democracies." For some Austrians, democracy is "the God that failed."

RL