From:
Scot Stradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:29:05 -0600
List Members,
I too would like to recall Mark Blaug.  I presented a paper at the HES annual meeting held at Carnegie Mellon in 1984 (as I recall).  My paper
argued that there are "philosophical foundations" of the Classical School.  The room was very full and there sat Mark right in the middle.
As soon as my presentation was done  Mark moved for my jugular.  Other scholars in the room jumped in saving me from I thought
would be certain ruin.  Years later at the British HES in 1998 I presented a paper on Malthus, again, and it too argued for philosphical
influences.  That meeting was held at the University of Bath and the occasion was typical of why I truly enjoyed attending HES
meetings until a few years ago.  There were a small number of people in attendance.  Every day after sessions we headed to the
pub and then to dinner.  This allowed for much conversation.  One evening I was seated next to Mark while having a beer and he
told me that he remembered the earlier occasion and that he completely agreed now that there are philosophical influences and
encouraged me to continue my research and writing pointing these out.  He was my "ultimate" dissertation advisor.  His Economic
Theory in Retrospect was a book that was capable of producing a solid theoretician.  His ability to change is his hallmark.  The
humanities in economics has suffered big losses this year including Mark.

Mark represents the great idea that the founders of HES aspired to:  Use the occasion as a way to support scholars in the history of
thought.  Avoid petty destructive criticism.  Make positive contributions to the work of others.  I believe that some more modern
members have lost sight of this value.

Scot Stradley

Scot A. Stradley, Ph.D.
Professor of Finance