From:
Alan G Isaac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2014 23:12:27 -0500
On 1/15/2014 1:22 PM, Scot Stradley wrote:
> I think it is strange to refer to Marx as "a champion of
> human self-determination and self-realization".  I know
> this sounds like Fromm's Man Makes Himself, but this is
> not a correct interpretation of Marx.  Human psychology is
> class psychology and there is no escaping the limits of
> class ideology.

I'm not seeing the contradiction.  It is also the case
that we cannot escape the constraints of gravity.  Are you
implying that someone who acknowledges gravity (e.g.  Marx
in The German Ideology) cannot be a "champion of human
self-determination and self-realization"?

A throw-away quote seems in order:
http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1845/theses/
"Philosophers have hitherto only interpreted the world in
various ways; the point is to change it."

But more helpful I suppose would be to point to the
dialogue between Aranovitch and Allen in the Canadian
Journal of Philosophy.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/40231153
http://www.jstor.org/stable/40231154
http://www.jstor.org/stable/40231155