From:
"Rosser, John Barkley - rosserjb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:56:53 +0000
Tom,
    Of course regarding the matter of the basic supply and demand diagram, yes, Cournot was first, but he had the axes switched from the standard Marshallian formulation.  It was Rau who first did it the way Marshall did, as did Jenkin.  The French tradition continued to follow Cournot for a long time, most notably with Walras.
    Curiously, when we talk about it we present it as if it should done as Cournot and his followers did so, with classroom presentations almost always taking about what happens after price changes.  It is a sign of a sharp student who asks, "If price is the variable changing and quantity is responding, why do we have price on the vertical axis?"  Needless to say, most here know the answer, which is that Marshall was focused on agricultural markets, particularly the wheat one that led to the bread one, still fundamental for social welfare in UK late 19th century, and in such markets exogenous forces, notably the weather, impacting supply are a regular driving force, although he also  was well aware of the work of both Rau and Jenkin reportedly.