From:
Robert Leeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2014 08:05:55 -0800
1. Phillips' stabilisation exercise and curve (2000 [1954], 151, Fig 16.11) examined the relationship between the rate of change of prices and the level of production (data limitations led to the use of two proxies: wage inflation and unemployment).

Leeson, R. 1997. The Trade Off Interpretation of Phillips' Dynamic Stabilisation Exercise. Economica February, 64.253: 155-173.

Leeson, R. 2000.  A.W.H. Phillips: Collected Works in Contemporary Perspective. Ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

2. Concerns about colonisation and unbalanced development dates back (at least) to 1986:

“At a symposium on the state of economics held in 1986, sponsored by the National Science Foundation, many participants put forth the view that economics as taught in graduate school had become too divorced from real world questions.” The resulting ‘Report of the Commission on Graduate Education in Economics’ discovered that “non-academic employers generally revealed fairly deep dissatisfaction with the training of new Ph. D’s employed by them”. There was an increasing worry that the grammar of mathematics had overtaken the substance of economics. Universities were producing too many intellectually disabled Ph. D.s: “idiots savants, skilled in technique but innocent of real economic issues” (Krueger 1991, 1035-1036, 1041, 1044-1045).

Krueger, A. O. 1991. Report of the Commission on Graduate Education in Economics. Journal of Economic Literature Vol 29, No 3, September: 1035-1053.

Any earlier examples of such concerns?