From:
Steve Kates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:14:34 +1100
Roger Backhouse and Brad Bateman have done us all an immense favour by
opening up an issue that really ought to be at the top of the economics
agenda today, and that is, given what we have discovered in the past two
years, whether the Keynesian policy vision still makes much sense. They
think it does, which is why they wrote their book, wrote their article
for the NYT and finally initiated this thread to alert the rest of us to
what they have done.

Unless they were of the opinion that no one disagrees with them about
Keynes and his vision, they must take it as a rightful expectation that
there are some who are of a different persuasion and that they will
actually say so in reply. And what seems to trouble some is this comment
of mine and particularly the word “rancid”:

“The Keynesian policy vision has created a global nightmare both
politically and economically, a nightmare whose end is nowhere in sight.
There may be an old guard that wishes to cling to such rancid and
outdated ideas but by now it ought to be obvious beyond argument that
Keynesian policies do not work. There is not a single economy in the
entire world that is safe from the ravages that the stimulus has caused.
By all means, let us find a new vision, but for heaven sake, the last
place we should be looking for that vision is in the works of John
Maynard Keynes.”

There is nothing ad hom in this. It is, as Brad Bateman has himself
noted, the ideas which I describe as rancid. It may not be a typical
word used by economists but it gets my point across. Keynesian economic
theory, assuming it was ever valid which I do not, should be seen by now
as well past its use-by date and recognised as having become stale and
moldy over the past three-quarters of a century. But in the use of this
word, it is quite clear that it is the sin and not the sinner that I am
referring to.

Thomas Humphrey has entered into this discussion thread in exactly the
right way. A great scholar and one whose writings I admire, he has
posted to say that the way Keynesian economic theory has developed since
the 1930s has created a macroeconomic theory of immense power and
penetration and that my approach would throw baby out with bathwater.
And with this, the issues that I think are important have been engaged.
And unless there were anything further for me to say on the issue of
Keynesian theory and vision, I would have felt there was nothing else to
add. I have said my piece. Keynes, yes or no. We report; you decide.

Rob Leeson has now, however, suggested that the moderator should not
only determine whether something ought to be published depending on its
relevance, but also dependant on the choice of words used, on the number
of words used and on some determination of the degree of ad hominem
involved. I take it that Rob would not therefore have published my posts
had he been the moderator which makes me grateful that he is not and
Humberto is.

Of course we are all bad judges in our own case but I don’t think any of
my posts, nor any of the others on this thread, have been too long. I
have read each one through with great interest. And if they are too
long, it is only the writer who loses out since eventually others stop
reading what they have to say.

Dr Steven Kates
School of Economics, Finance
    and Marketing
RMIT University
Level 12 / 239 Bourke Street
Melbourne Vic 3000

Phone: (03) 9925 5878
Mobile: 042 7297 529

>>> Robert Leeson <[log in to unmask]> 12/11/11 6:47 AM >>>
Brad´s response raises an important issue: the legitimisation of
discourse with the taint of argumentum ad hominem.  Mises and in his own
way Keynes were enemies of civilisation in this context: by posturing as
Defenders of Civilisation they encouraged their followers to believe
that the rules of civil discourse should no longer apply for "the
duration". Equally, one (non-ideological) contributor to this list
appears to be motivated entirely by generalised malice towards the human
race - he and (almost)With inadequate self-censorship perhaps the long-suffering moderator
should return inflamatory contributions with a standard SHOE flag of
"BOOT" (a hint that a rewrite is called for).  Overlong contributions
should be returned with a standard SHOE flag of "SHOE!!" (a hint that
shortening is required).

Gresham´s Law punch-ups (which can squeeze out some merit) should be
conducted between consenting adults in private.  But having spent much
of the last year in Popper-related archives, economists are comparative
saints of moderation in this regard.

RL