AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
"Iona McCraith (AAO)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Iona McCraith (AAO)
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2012 17:08:19 -0400
This posting from Arcan-L may interest this list.  Apologies if you've
already seen it.

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 10:24:08 -0700
From: Myron Groover <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [Arcan-l] LAC RPP 2012-2013

Colleagues,

If you haven't yet done so, I encourage you all to have a look at the
LAC "Report
on Plans and
Priorities<http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/rpp/2012-2013/inst/bal/bal01-eng.asp>"
(RPP) which was released last week. It's extremely sobering reading and
gives context to the NADP cut. It also gives us a lot of very indicative
figures for making the case that decisions like the NADP cut have either
(a) not been thought through or (b) are being forced through with
misleading rationale.

Preservation spending, for example, is disproportionately slashed. It's
slated to go down from around $30m this year to about $10m by 2015 - hardly
the sort of figures you'd expect from an institution which will presumably
have to spend something in the neighbourhood of a billion dollars on a TDR
if they're to make good on their digitization claims.

This report also indicates that staffing levels will remain stable when, in
fact (as we know too well), LAC is cutting 20% of its workforce.

John D. Reid has done a brief analysis
here<http://anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.ca/2012/05/deceptive-and-misguided-lac-rpp-2012-13.html>.
CAUT have also recently provided some
figures<http://www.savelibraryarchives.ca/update-2012-05.aspx>on the
precise breakdown of the staffing and resource cuts. I do encourage
you to have a look at the report, though, if only to see the tone in which
it's written.

-M

--
Myron C. Groover
MA (Hons), MAS, MLIS

Iona McCraith
Preservation Consultant
Archives Association of Ontario
Tel: (705) 277-1309     Fax: (705) 277-2091
Email: [log in to unmask]
www..aao-archivists.ca