Sender:
From:
"Judy E. Sneller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1993 21:14:26 -0600
As a fairly new subscriber to the Twain List myself, I was saddened to see
Mr. Gomberg's reply to Susan Reed's query about teaching (or not teaching)
Twain because of the "drama of beset manhood" interpretation.  I don't
consider
myself a "radical feminist" bearing the label of "lunatic fringe" to which
he
refers, but I am a feminist who sees little merit in such namecalling.

My response to Susan Reed's question would be that I find it unfortunate
that
some professors wouldn't teach Twain because of this one interpretation of
"beset manhood," which may or may not be supported in the majority of
Twain's
works.  This approach seems to me limiting and constricting, although it may
be
one way of responding to the continuing enigma of Twain.  I think women
definitely figure very prominently in Twain's works, whether in the
foreground
of the story itself or in the cultural context surrounding its production.
me, even if Twain's works are indeed such "dramas of beset manhood," this
fact
wouldn't negate their importance or their appropriateness or their value in
the
classroom.  This would just be added to all the other reasons for studying
Twain from a cultural perspective, as well as for HOW his humor is used to
respond to his particular socio-political milieu.

No, Professor Reed, I do not find you or your question "confrontational,"
and
I hope we both enjoy the stimulation of the Twain List.

Dr. Judy Sneller