From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Gibbons (GIA))
Date:
Perhaps I am missing something, but are there other people out there who
are as suprised at the absence of intellectual curiosity and the
willingness to seriously examine possibly new (we can't know they aren't
new until they are examined can we;  or is the closed society that Popper
warned us about our model now) perspectives that seems to crop up
regularly on this list?

Second, postmodern deconstruction (let's just lump everything different
into one category, easier to dismiss without detailed critical
examination that way) in 1950; the thought slays me.

Third, I have yet to see on this list, in the facile dismissals of those
who are lumped (often over their objections) together as postmodernists,
deconstructions, etc. any detailed, critical examination of any one of
the authors so identified.

Finally, I second Kevin Quinn's comments re: Diggins's vs. Westbrook's
respective accounts of Dewey, and would only add that Rockefeller's John
Dewey: Religious Faith and Democratic Humanism is also a better account
than Diggins's