Sender:
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:22:40 EST
Dear Camy,
    As someone with a partial degree in theology from a Jesuit college (St.
Joe's, where you might think of going), sin is relative. I believe Sam
understood that with a clarity rare for his time.
    For Huck, in my humble opinion, lying to save someone's life is no sin.
In fact, it's an act of courage and honor. That's precisely why Sam grew so
skeptical of organized religion over the years; the "our way or the highway"
no
doubt perplexed him mightily.
    He was a man of faith who, in his hard-earned wisdom, saw most organized
religion for what it was, and is: a bunch of people with too much time on
their hands who try to tell others how to live their lives.
    Stick with the Beatitudes. I suspect, from my feeble perch, that Sam
understood that too.

Kathy O'Connell
Still, reluctantly, at liberty