AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Aao Committees <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aao Committees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2016 09:48:55 -0400
The Archives Association of Ontario has joined many colleagues throughout
Canada in voicing concern over the decision to close the consultation room
<https://www.mcq.org/en/collections/consultation> and lay off staff at
the Musée
de la civilisation du Québec <https://www.mcq.org/en/> in Quebec City, for
an undetermined amount of time, effective June 23, 2016. Please see our
letter of support below.

The Communications and Advocacy Committee
<http://aao-archivists.ca/communications-advocacy> of the AAO is happy to
accept any requests for advocacy from AAO members. Please contact Chair,
Laura Hallman at [log in to unmask] for information.

(PDF Version
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B38uQ1oBLFUZYXRSQjdfZzNPeWs/view?usp=sharing>
)

July 6, 2016

Luc Fortin, Minister of Culture and Communications
Régis Labeaume, Mayor of Quebec City
Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage

Dear Sirs and Madam:

The Archives Association of Ontario (AAO) is the professional organization
representing over 350 archival institutions and archivists in Ontario. As
President of the AAO, I am writing to express my concern regarding the
recent decision to close the consultation room and lay off staff at the
Musée de la civilisation du Québec (MCQ) in Quebec City, for an
undetermined amount of time, effective June 23, 2016.

Sir Arthur Doughty, Dominion Archivist at the beginning of the Twentieth
Century, said that "... of all national assets, archives are the most
precious, they are the gifts of one generation to another and the extent of
our care of them marks the extent of our civilization." As we have entered
the Twenty­first Century, please help us ensure that our gifts are not
imperiled. Please, raise your voice in support for more funding for the
Archives of the Musée de la civilisation du Québec, and help protect our
documentary history and heritage with the provision of proper facilities.
One of Québec’s mottos is “je me souviens” ­ let us ensure that we continue
to have the ability to do so.

The historical archives collection at MCQ is one of the oldest in the
country, holding the archives of the Quebec Seminary that began in 1623.
The documents held within are critical to anyone interested in
understanding Canada’s early history as users can access materials related
to New France and the early relationship between the diverse peoples of
northeastern North America, Indigenous language documents, and records from
the French Empire and the Catholic Church. The collection is also
considered important worldwide as it became one of only four documentary
heritage collections in the UNESCO Memory of the World Program in 2007.

The AAO calls on Quebec’s Museum of Civilization as well as all levels of
government to find a way to maintain access to the collections of Le Centre
de référence de l’Amérique francophone with the qualified staff who can
share their expertise and experience to preserve and provide access to
these invaluable records. The value of these staff members cannot be
replaced by digitization. In fact, digitization often increases the desire
for physical access.

Preventing access to these records creates a gap in our documentary history
that cannot be replaced by digitization alone. The access to the physical
records provided by Le Centre de référence de l’Amérique francophone
undermines our ability to provide access to our collective historical
property. Closing institutions such as this, infringes upon our ability to
provide researchers with the materials they need to conduct research and
make accurate interpretations of our national history. Furthermore, it
hinders our capacity to allow current and future generations to interact
with our heritage. Ensuring the appropriate custodianship of these records
by qualified professionals is crucial to preserving them as an accurate
reflection of our national history and future development. In closing, we
urge you to add your voice to the hundreds who have signed a petition, and
written letters in support of access to the incredible collection at Le
Centre de référence de l’Amérique francophone at the Musée de la
civilisation du Québec.

Sincerely,

Dana Thorne

President, Archives Association of Ontario