AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Catherine Falls <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Catherine Falls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2021 10:58:24 -0700
*Apologies for cross-posting*

Internet Archive Canada is thrilled to announce that Community Webs <https://communitywebs.archive-it.org/>, the Internet Archive's free community-based web archiving program, is now open to cultural heritage organizations in Canada. Community Webs is fully funded and administered by non-profit Internet Archive. There is no cost to participating organizations.

Community Webs empowers cultural heritage organizations to work with their communities to build community-focused web archives documenting local histories and underrepresented voices. The program offers free web archiving services and technical support via a multi-year subscription to Archive-It <https://archive-it.org/>, as well as resources for networking, professional development and in support of scholarly research. Community Webs currently has over 100 participants from across the US and we are excited to be expanding into Canada. Some examples of what our current participants have been up to include:

The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture @ NYPL <https://archive-it.org/home/schomburgcenter> web collections on the #Syllabus Movement and other aspects of the Black experience in the US
Athens Regional Library System <https://archive-it.org/home/ARLS> web collections on local contemporary art, music, literature and food culture, as well as local politics and community activism
The East Baton Rouge Parish Library <https://archive-it.org/organizations/1153> web collections on local Mardi Gras celebrations, police violence and demonstrations, and COVID-19.

To find out more about the program, visit the Community Webs website <https://communitywebs.archive-it.org/> and view our program announcements <https://communitywebs.archive-it.org/news.html> and recent blog post <https://blog.archive.org/2021/06/10/community-webs-seeks-applicants-from-the-us-canada-and-around-the-world/>. Canadian cultural heritage organizations that apply now may be eligible to join our next cohort kicking off in late-Summer 2021.

The deadline for applications is August 2, 2021. Apply <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd5ZwPGeNUqpueUCiJqoxi0ZLyeVppc_v0MyfvpFU2vlpNV7Q/viewform> online today.

Have questions? Please reach out by emailing the Community Webs team at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Interested in archiving and data services other than local history web collecting? Visit the Archive-It website <https://archive-it.org/blog/products-and-services/>.

We hope to see you in the program,

Catherine Falls & The Community Webs Team
Internet Archive Canada