AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Ellen Scheinberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellen Scheinberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2023 14:55:58 +0000

Dear colleagues:

We are pleased to announce the launch of the John SmartScholarship fund, in memory of John Smart, who sadly passed away in August2021. Several of his colleagues and friends, along with John’s wife Pat, formeda committee to set up this scholarship as a lasting legacy of his life,political activities, and work.

Over the past year, this committee has been working with theUniversity of Toronto and the DouglasColdwell Layton Foundation (DCLF) to establish an annual scholarship inJohn Smart’s name at the Faculty of Information, University of Toronto(iSchool) in recognition of John’s outstanding work as an archivist, instructor,and community leader.

The John Smart Memorial Scholarship for SocialJustice and Democracy will be awarded to a graduate student who is enrolledin the Archives and Records Management Program at the University of Toronto (iSchool)- the first being awarded this coming fall 2023.
As you know, John was a passionate archivist and instructor.Thanks to his efforts, a new archives technician program was developed atAlgonquin College to enhance the field of archival education. John was alsodeeply committed to social justice and archives which he believed was the keyto protecting and promoting a strong Canadian identity.
The Douglas Coldwell Layton Foundation is a non-partisaneducational charity that was established 50 years ago by Tommy Douglas after heleft politics. It is the intellectual home for the legacies of socialdemocratic leaders. Considering John’s lifelong commitment to social democracyand his work with the nationalist Waffle movement within the NDP, it is veryfitting that this scholarship is awarded through the Foundation.
We are inviting you as one of John's colleagues to make acontribution towards our fundraising efforts. Donors who contribute to the JohnSmart Memorial Scholarship through the Foundation receive tax receipts. You canmake your gift with a credit card by visiting this webpage: John Smart Scholarship Fund
Or, cheques can be sent by mail payable to: Douglas ColdwellLayton Foundation, re; John Smart - PO Box 282 Station B, Ottawa, ON, K1P 6C4.

The committee is confident that with your help and the helpof others, we will be able to raise the funds needed to fulfill our commitment toJohn’s legacy and support an archival student engaged in social justice issues.

 On behalf of the John Smart Committee, we thank you.
 Sincerely,

 Committee members:
 Ellen Scheinberg, [log in to unmask](co-chair)
 Karen Teeple, [log in to unmask] (co-chair)

 Carol Radford-Grant

 Pat Smart

 Paul Henry

 Richard Lochead