AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Duncan Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duncan Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:13:28 -0400
Please excuse cross-postings.

Call for Proposals

ACA 36th Annual Conference

June 2-4, 2011, Toronto, Ontario

Back to Basics??

The general statement which all archives use to describe their role and
function is to acquire, arrange and describe, preserve and make available
the records in their care. From the language we use to the descriptive
formats we prescribe, the manner in which this is done is constantly
evolving though much of the thought behind our practice remains the same.

The 2011 ACA Programme Committee is seeking proposals that examine the core
functions and theoretical underpinnings of the work that archivists
undertake in order to understand how they are holding up in the face of
changing technologies, a changing user and donor base, and the increased
demands on shrinking budgets. By examining the historical precedents in
light of the current archival practices of today the committee hopes to
enliven discussion and spark conversations about the intersection of theory
and methodology in the current landscape.

Proposals are invited from all areas of archival theory and practice and may
include such topics as:

"Acquire"

*	What do we want to acquire? Has this fundamentally changed or merely
morphed? What might a new landscape look like?
*	Documentation strategies: new emphasis on an old practice.
*	Does the acquisition of electronic records affect core functions and
core competencies of the archivist?
*	Old "New Media" - acquisition concerns and possibilities.

"Arrange and Describe"

*	Language and descriptive standards - who do they serve and how
should they evolve.
*	The electronic/hypertext environment - does it fundamentally alter
our notions of interrelatedness and context presenting new arrangement
challenges.
*	Archival description in the age of wikis, social tagging, and
user-generated data
*	How do traditional archival concepts cohere with contemporary
information challenges which question the meaning of custody, reproduction
and distribution of version, fixity and stability of form, and collaborative
authorship?

"Preserve and Make Available"

*	Who are our researchers, and does the audience effect the nature of
work an archives undertakes?
*	Digitization projects and the role of archivist as curator.
*	More Product, Less Process (MPLP): reactionary measure or
revolutionary step?
*	What effects are changing privacy and intellectual-property rights
having on access or acquisition?

SUBMITTING PROPOSALS:

The 2011 Conference Program Committee invites contributions, of either a
practical and/or theoretical nature, in a variety of formats including:

1.	Traditional session: formal presentation of papers; approximately 20
minutes per speaker, with questions to follow as time allows.
2.	Panel discussion: abbreviated presentation of papers; approximately
10-15 minutes per speaker, with discussion to follow.
3.	Roundtable: brief 5-7 minute presentations with open discussion
4.	Focused Debate on a specific topic: brief presentations with open
discussion & debate to follow
5.	Poster session: information is summarized using texts and images,
and mounted on poster board

Use the "Call for Submission" button on the ACA website at
http://www.archivists.ca/.  Submitting your session proposal in electronic
form using this link is strongly encouraged.

Note:  Please be advised there will be a Call for Student Papers as well as
a Call for Posters later this year, with submission deadlines early in 2011.

The deadline for submission of proposals is: 24 September 2010

Please feel free to direct questions to:

Heather Home, Chair, ACA 2011 Program Committee

Queen's University Archives

Kathleen Ryan Hall

Queen's University

Kingston, Ontario

K7L 3N6

e-mail:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

telephone: 613.533.6000 x74456