CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
DK Project <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in International Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:53:45 -0500
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:57:23 -0500
From: Donna Monahan <[log in to unmask]>

Greetings,

My name is Donna Monahan, and I work for Management Sciences for Health, a
non-profit public health management consulting organization, working
mainly in the developing world. We have paired up with the National
Association of Community Health Centers on a USAID-funded project to
educate Americans about international development. We are starting an
e-mail-based forum, and I wondered if you could read the invitation below.

COMMUNITY-HEALTH-L, A New Electronic Forum from Management Sciences for
Health

Are you a community health provider or manager who is interested in:

- understanding how community health is practiced around the world
- exchanging ideas with community health programs in other countries
- developing new ways to increase access to health care for under served populations
- learning about--or sharing what you know about--the home countries of refugees and immigrants
- expanding the role of community health workers in your program

Management Sciences for Health and the National Association for Community
Health Centers invite you to exchange ideas with community health
providers from around the world via a new electronic forum being conducted
through e-mail, COMMUNITY-HEALTH-L, from March 9-May 29.

Discussion questions may include:

1. What are the best ways to recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate
community health workers? What are the most common problems, and how have
programs around the world addressed those problems?

2. When doing community outreach and health education, what should a
community health center know about the home countries and specific
cultural beliefs of various immigrant and refugee groups?

3. What are the problems inherent in asking professional and lay community
health providers to work as a team, and what can help this process?

To subscribe to the list, send an e-mail to [log in to unmask], leave
the subject line blank and type the message "SUBSCRIBE COMMUNITY-HEALTH-L"
(leave out the quotes).

As part of an initiative of the US Agency for International Development to
educate people in the US about international development, Management
Sciences for Health and the National Association of Community Health
Centers have created "Community Health Centers Around the World: An
International Exchange." Through this project, community health providers
in the US can exchange ideas with their counterparts overseas through
workshops and e-mail-based fourms. The project's Web site can be found at:
<http://erc.msh.org/chc>. If you have specific questions about the
project, please send an e-mail to [log in to unmask]

Donna Monahan
Management Sciences for Health
165 Allandale Road
Boston, Massachusetts, 02130