Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 14:13:10 -0400
As there are no primary sources, one cannot be sure about what Jesus did/did
not say. However, the exact attribution (Matthew 26:11) reads:

"For ye have the poor always with you, but me ye have not always."

I interpet this as a challenge rather than a glib affirmation of the status
quo. That is to say, you should never turn your back on the less fortunate
while taking your own comfortable situation for granted (i.e., think twice
before voting for someone who promises to cut taxes lest you find yourself in
need of social programs).

For the record, Jesus is also alleged to have said: "You cannot serve both God
and money" (Luke 16:13).