From:
Steve Manske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 09:22:39 -0400
Thanks Dennis, for your summary.  I am interested more broadly in
mobilization of potential stakeholders in advocacy issues. Are we as
health promoters using outdated techniques?  Is there a literature
describing evaluations of effective mobilization methods?

Two recent events
provided some focus for me on the issue.  Both deal with tobacco
legislation.

1.  Waterloo Region (Southern Ontario, Canada) Council is considering
restrictions on  smoking,
especially in restaurants in the region.  There have been several
successes in attempts to mobililize expressions of support:
-  several letters to the editor and "second opinion" pieces on the
editorial page of the local papers (especially in response to one city
councillor who responded negatively to the proposed legislation)
-  40+ delegations to a health & social services committee meeting
considering the proposal

However, the local voluntary group (Council for a Smoke-Free Waterloo
Region) has had less success in encouraging residents to directly write
or call their councillors in order to keep up the pressure.

2.  At a recent conference of tobacco researchers, programmers and policy
makers, participants were encouraged to write or phone our federal
government about new legislation to replace Canada's ban on tobacco
advertising.  My sense is that even in the room of individuals committed
to tobacco use reduction, relatively few will follow through.

Dennis got two responses to his plea.  Are there better ways?

On Sat, 18 May 1996, d.raphael wrote:

> Dear Click for HP'ers:
>
> The facilitator of this list-serve has asked that I report on the effects of our plea for
> community support related to opposing front-yard parking in the city of Toronto,
> Canada.

> health promotion), requesting that letters of support for tougher legislation be sent
> to City of Toronto Mayor Hall, the following was received:
>
> 1) A statement from a user in Missouri, indicating that this is an issue there as
> well. (not sent to Mayor)
>
> 2) An inquiry from a city assistant in Edmonton. (sent to Mayor)

...snip

Steve Manske,   Health Behaviour Research Group, U Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1
Ph: 519-888-4747 x6552 Fax: 746-8171 Email: [log in to unmask]