From:
"<Kelly Wilson>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 15:12:04 -0500
Hi:

I am particularly interested in feedback from public health staff on this
issue.

The Youth Connection Team ('school team') in my Division wants to target
parents of children 6-18 years for various health issues. They are
contemplating going into malls to set up a display to: 1) increase parents'
awareness of the services provided by the program as a whole and showcase
resources offered; and 2) to increase parents' knowledge (e.g., handouts on
binge drinking/how to tell if your child is taking drugs etc).

They want to reach out to parents, as 'parent nights' have not been too
successful (poor attendance). The team is even thinking of setting up
displays in grocery stores, community centres, arenas (i.e., places parents
frequent) and in workplaces.

Any feedback would be appreciated. They are in a brainstorming stage, so
they want to know if any evidence exists elsewhere as to the effectiveness
of mall displays for getting information to parents of children (6-18 yrs).

Thank you in advance.
Kelly Wilson
Program Evaluation Coordinator
Regional Niagara Public Health Department