Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:21:47 +1000
Hi Health Promoters

I'm looking for the original source of the popular health promotion story
that is told about two villages by a river.  It goes something like
this.....

The villagers from the downstream settlement noticed one day that bodies
were floating down the river.  At first there were one or two, then more
and more, until the villagers were spending all their time diving into the
river to rescue the bodies and resuscitate them if they could.

After some weeks of this, the villagers noticed some of their community
members walking away, following the river upstream.  The rescuers were
angry and called to those people who were walking away to stay and help.
One of the travellers replied 'You can spend all your lives pulling these
people out.  We're going up stream to see if we can stop them falling in.'

It's a good story, hey?  I've read that it was written by Maccoby of the
Stanford Heart Program - but that is the only detail that I have.  Can you
refer me to an original source or provide me with any more detail?

Thanks.

From Monica Bensberg

Department of Human Services
122 Thomas Street