SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Farah Shroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2023 21:27:57 +0530
Hi Dennis and Others!
I designed and taught a course on the politics of health at UBC in the Dept
of Political Science; it was the first and only course in health in the
long history of the Department. It analyzes power in its various
manifestations in public health.
Here is the link to the journal article:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35488656/
and the abstract.

2021 Sep-Dec;34(3):101-104.
doi: 10.4103/efh.EfH_256_18.
From millstones to milestones: Scaffolding a house of public health on
political science foundations
Farah M Shroff
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Shroff+FM&cauthor_id=35488656>  1
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35488656/#full-view-affiliation-1>, Swetha
Prakash
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Prakash+S&cauthor_id=35488656>  2
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35488656/#full-view-affiliation-2>, Trish
L Varao-Sousa
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Varao-Sousa+TL&cauthor_id=35488656>
3 <https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35488656/#full-view-affiliation-3>

   - PMID: *35488656*
   - DOI: 10.4103/efh.EfH_256_18 <https://doi.org/10.4103/efh.efh_256_18>

Abstract

* Background: * We analyze the University of British Columbia's Department
of Political Science's first course on health, "Global Politics and
Health," to determine whether one course could inform political science
students to tackle health issues. The major concept was global public
health is politics writ large, as determinants of health are rooted in
economic and social power. Course objectives encouraged student agency in
ameliorating population health status.

* Methods: * We use three surveys, with qualitative and quantitative
components, to assess interest and knowledge of public health issues, and
determine whether student agency increased as the course progressed.

* Results: * We confirmed that political science develops an excellent
foundation for the analysis of issues related to global public health
status. One course can stimulate curiosity in health issues. Unexpectedly,
we discovered that students' greatest learning outcome integrated personal,
interpersonal, and scholarly analyses of health issues. This provided an
avenue for students outside of the health sciences to frame mental health,
sexuality, and other stigmatized subjects within scholarly discourse. After
the course, virtually all students had developed a sense of agency, hope,
and tools to understand the roots of mental and physical health. Following
case studies on various countries, students quickly grasped the significant
impact of politics and economics on people's health.

* Discussion: * We recommend that political science departments offer
courses that focus on health for all alongside existing courses on
healthcare systems' politics. Furthermore, departments of public health may
benefit from including political science courses as core elements of their
curriculum to assist graduates in navigating the highly politicized
infrastructure of public health. Both disciplines stand to gain from this
interdisciplinary opportunity-- in the service of better health for all.

of teaching and learning.
------------------------------
We also wrote a much more comprehensive book chapter about it which is
available here:
https://books.google.co.in/books?id=bNJ2EAAAQBAJ&pg=PA584&lpg=PA584&dq=Farah+Shroff+brick+by+brick+political+science+course&source=bl&ots=nv51sPxev1&sig=ACfU3U2VbZ1wrybwG0ellEsXc5RPKv9UJw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwibqsOHzZuCAxUXlFYBHZE_DPMQ6AF6BAgcEAM#v=onepage&q=Farah%20Shroff%20brick%20by%20brick%20political%20science%20course&f=false

I hope this is helpful for your search!

Warmly
farah

Dr Farah M Shroff

Maternal and Infant Health Canada (https://linktr.ee/MIHCan)

and
University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine
and
Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health
Harvard HealthLab Board Member