Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2011 14:05:39 -0400
Adam Smith, of course, had his papers burned just before his death. Don't
know if he would fit into the "scholar" category or if his actions fit
into the "relocation of sensitive material" or "borrowing and never
returning".  Were his actions "posterity-driven"?

There also was an episode involving S.Leon Levy and his use of Nassau
Senior materials. But I don't recall details.

There are of course lots of examples of users of archives and collections
of papers "borrowing" and "never [at least voluntarily] returning archival
material" --I am not thinking of historians of economics but more
generally. I presume this is why security procedures have tightened up
considerably in archives in recent decades.  However, my impression is
that in most of these instances, the motives were pecuniary rather than
hagiographic.  One recent example is the knucklehead who brought a hot
Shakespeare first folio into the Folger Library for authentication.

Since the discussion has broadened from selective autobiography to
selective manipulation of scholarly papers, mention could also be made of
selection issues related to scholarly texts and publications themselves.
Examples I have heard about recently include the second edition of Carl
Menger's Principles of Economics and George Herbert Meade's posthumously
published lectures.

David Mitch