From:
Humberto Barreto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2022 09:00:02 -0400
[Selections by Humberto Barreto for SHOE list.]

nep-hpe <http://nep.repec.org/nep-hpe.html> New Economics Papers
<http://nep.repec.org/> on History and Philosophy of Economics

Issue of 2022‒09‒19
papers chosen by
Erik Thomson <http://econpapers.repec.org/RAS/pth72.htm>
University of Manitoba <http://umanitoba.ca/>
------------------------------

   1. Sheila Dow's Open Systems
   <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#m_1911956688356368221_p1> By Davis,
   John B.
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Davis,%20John%20B.>
   2. Проблема потребительского рыночного спроса в экономической теории и
   её разрешение: методология, теория, верификация
   <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#m_1911956688356368221_p2> By Gorbunov,
   Vladimir
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Gorbunov,%20Vladimir>
   3. "We need to offer something better to the scholars of the future":
   Some thoughts on the "Hodgson debate"
   <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#m_1911956688356368221_p3> By Heise,
   Arne <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Heise,%20Arne>
   4. Quantifying Economic Reasoning in Court: Judge Economics
   Sophistication and Pro-business Orientation
   <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#m_1911956688356368221_p4> By Cao,
   Siying <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Cao,%20Siying>
   5. Introduction to The Creative Class Revisited: New Analytical Advances
   <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#m_1911956688356368221_p5> By Batabyal,
   Amitrajeet
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Batabyal,%20Amitrajeet>
   ; Nijkamp, Peter
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Nijkamp,%20Peter>
   6. On Gale's Contribution in Revealed Preference Theory
   <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#m_1911956688356368221_p6> By Yuhki
   Hosoya <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Yuhki%20Hosoya>
   7. Environmental Policies Benefit Economic Development: Implications of
   Economic Geography
   <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#m_1911956688356368221_p7> By Seth
   Morgan <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Seth%20Morgan>
   ; Alexander Pfaff
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Alexander%20Pfaff>;
Julien
   Wolfersberger
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Julien%20Wolfersberger>
   8. Causal Narratives
   <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#m_1911956688356368221_p8> By Chad W.
   Kendall
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Chad%20W.%20Kendall>;
Constantin
   Charles
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Constantin%20Charles>
   9. Why Economic Theories and Policies Fail? Unnoticed Variables and
   Overlooked Economics
   <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#m_1911956688356368221_p9> By Victor
   Olkhov
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Victor%20Olkhov>
   10. Algorithmic Fairness and Statistical Discrimination
   <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#m_1911956688356368221_p10> By John W.
   Patty
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=John%20W.%20Patty>;
Elizabeth
   Maggie Penn
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Elizabeth%20Maggie%20Penn>

------------------------------

   1. Sheila Dow's Open Systems
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/RePEc:mrq:wpaper:2022-06>
   By: Davis, John B.
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Davis,%20John%20B.>
(Department
   of Economics Marquette University)
   Abstract: This paper reviews Sheila Dow’s contributions to open
   systems thinking as a form of methodological argument and as an important
   foundation for pluralism in economics. It reviews the origins of her
   thinking in connection with her distinction between Cartesian/Euclidian and
   Babylonian thinking in the history of economics, discusses the further
   development of her views regarding open and closed systems in her 2002
   Economic Methodology book and in connection with her ‘structured
   pluralism’ concept, discusses the 2005 paper co-authored with Victoria
   Chick, “The Meaning of Open Systems.†examines Dow’s and Chick’s
   view and critique of critical realism in regard to the relationship between
   models and theorizing and uses Piero Sraffa’s 1930s the open-closed
   distinction to provide a similar understanding of such boundaries and the
   relationship between models and theorizing, and finally comments on Dow’s
   contribution to openclosed systems thinking and pluralism in economics.