From:
Steve Kates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 2015 16:19:41 +1000
I found Tony's discussion of Adam Smith's meaning of the word "wealth" very
much in accord with what I and probably most people think Smith meant. But
that is in English. What I have found so notable about the earlier postings
is the way "wealth" is translated. Does someone who reads the words, "the
wealth of nations", but in a different language, hear something different?
Would someone who comes across the book in French (or Turkish) think it is
about "the opulence of nations"? A book like Piketty's, for all its sales,
does not seem to have become much of an influence in English speaking
countries. What I am getting at is this: when someone reads "richesse" in
French, do they think of Versailles rather than pin factories?

On 19 June 2015 at 08:48, Tony Aspromourgos <[log in to unmask]