From:
[log in to unmask] (Adam McHugh)
Date:

   I'm not sure about the historiography, but it seems apparent to me that
   activities such as false advertising, intimidation, slander, sabotage, arson
   and thuggery all fit well within the definition of competitive behaviour,
   yet  clearly  all  are antisocial and counterproductive. Policing such
   behaviour expends resources even in perfectly competitive markets. This fact
   points to a weakness in the standard model of perfect competition.  If
   functioning of the model relies on competitive drives, enforcement costs
   relating to negative competitive behaviour must be factored into efficiency
   determinations. When enforcement costs exist, a competitive industry cannot
   operate at the socially optimal level of output. Such 'enforced competion'
   may be better than 'excessive competition' in net surplus terms, but it
   still has a deadweight loss attached to it.

Adam McHugh