From:
Марина Узунова <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 2020 00:27:13 +0300
Dear all,
  As a white young scholar, let me add what I take it 'it might be good for white people to keep silent' means. It simply means 'listen'. Talking without listening is empty. (And, I might add, a poor kind of freedom of speech.) Systematically talking without listening to groups of people is harmful.

  Excited to see that most people, and many white people, have endorsed the invitation to do exactly that.

  Best wishes,  Marina

   \.abv-omExternalClass\ P { margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; }

    Dear colleagues,

    while I do not mind our Executive Committee's statement, and while I do not agree with every word in Steve's email (especially "culture war"), some of the reactions to his note struck me as disconcerting. The statement of Dr. Kılınçoğlu that "[i]t may be the time for the white people to keep silent" felt particularly unsettling: Making
     anyone  "keep silent" appears to me to be the very opposite of what we need in the HES and in our community - regardless of how heated the times may be which we are living through. So let me thank Steve for the openness in expressing his position, whether you agree with him or not.

    Best regards,

    Stefan Kolev

 ---

        Prof. Dr. Stefan Kolev

        Professor of Political Economy, University of Applied Sciences Zwickau

        Deputy Director, Wilhelm Röpke Institute Erfurt

       Advisory Board Member, Alliance for the Social Market Economy ASM

        Research Fellow, Hamburg Institute of International Economics HWWI

         http://www.hwwi.org/ueber-uns/team/autor/stefan-kolev.html