From:
Peter G Stillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2017 21:33:47 -0400
Dr. Ebeling's response has a certain elegance to it.  But it ignores what
it seems to me is the basic problem, which Giancarlo de Vito highlighted:
 that the 'free market' in economic research (like the free market in
post-"Citizens United" political funding, or like the current charter
school funding)) has a consistent bias to it, in favor of the rich
("income-earning" is such a charming euphemism).  That is, I think, the
consistent problem that advocates of the free market in the contemporary
world need desperately to obfuscate, as Dr. Ebeling does so well.
Does Dr. Ebeling think that the democratic response -- of persuading others
to act through the state to produce their preferred allocation -- is
illegitimate?  (I.e., does the ideology of the free market trump
democracy?). (Of course, this raises a bunch of questions about what is
democratic, just as Dr. Ebeling's answer raises a bunch of questions about
what constitutes a free market and how much the coercive power of the state
defines and determines that free market.)
Peter Stillman

--
Sent from my iPad. Typos may have been introduced by the iPad spell checker.