From:
GM Ambrosi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2021 10:34:34 +0100
RE: Source for:  “If myths are not put forward by philosophers, then they
will be put forward by other people, and then they will be worse myths.
Therefore they should be put forward by philosophers.”

The likely background seems to be Plato's _Republic_ II, XVII, 377B, see,
eg,
Shorey, P. Plato: _The Republic I_, Books I -- V -- with an English
Translation Harvard University Press and William Heinemann, 1937, p.177:

Socrates:
"Do you not know, then, that the beginning in every task is the chief
thing, especially for any creature that is young and tender? For it is then
that it is best moulded and takes the impression  that one wishes to stamp
upon it."

"Quite so."

Socrates: "Shall we, then, thus lightly suffer our children to listen to
any chance stories fashioned by any chance teachers and so to take into
their minds opinions for the most
part contrary to those that we shall think it desirable for them to hold
when they are grown up ?"

"By no manner of means will we allow it."

Socrates:
"We must begin, then, it seems, by a censorship over our storymakers, and
what they do well we must pass and what not, reject. And the stories on the
accepted list we will induce nurses and mothers to tell to the children and
so shape their souls by these stories far
rather than their bodies by their hands. But most of the stories they now
tell we must reject."
etc. in great detail a discussion of the traditional myths told in ancient
Greek literature.
Best regards
Michael Ambrosi

--
Prof. (em.) Dr. Dr.h.c. G.M. Ambrosi
Jean Monnet Professur "ad personam", Universität Trier