Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:31:34 +0200
Menno Rol wrote: “The heart of the epistemology of Pierce can be formulated as the claim that sticking to old
beliefs is a man's normal inclination and that this is in fact rational.”

I agree. However, Menno Rol also wrote: “In order to learn, we update old beliefs with a certain unwillingness
in the face of counterevidence, facts that we stumble upon daily. The updating process runs via hypothesis
making: inference to the best explanation. What counts as the best explanation depends not only on the newly
encountered facts, but just as much - or even more - on our old beliefs. Again, this is rational.”

I disagree with Menno Rol here because scholars, who run into counter-evidence or refuting reasoning, do not
always change their minds or update their beliefs. I think the reason is that “epistemic costs” in scholarly
life are significantly high.

Epistemic costs, to my understanding, refer to the costs involved in operating the various scholarly
arrangements such as collecting data, drafting papers, arguing with other scholars, and replicating the results
of old models. Epistemic costs are sometimes so high that, for example, errors that scholars made in the past
such as plagiarism and deterioration of data are not always remediable today. As a consequence, scholars
sometimes keep reproducing erroneous models. There are at least two reasons for this: (1) there is almost no
reward in the academy in going back to the models and explanations of older generations and (2) it is sometimes
impossible to replicate what older generations wrote. This suggests that the scholarly world is a world of
positive epistemic costs in which negative externalities are not always and perfectly self-corrective. Perfect
solutions do not come about so easily because scholarly mechanisms, such as refereeing and reviewing as well as
the ethics of scholarly behaviour and certain codes of act, including the issue of liability, that help increase
the productivity of scientific processes, cannot fully correct or cure the harmful consequences of individual
scholarship. The problem of epistemic cost is that we do NOT “update old beliefs” in the face of
counter-evidence and errors frequently remain uncorrected.

Reminding the SHOE-List Ramzi Mabsout’s original question: would anybody suggest any cases in which old habits
of thought prevent scholars from changing their minds despite the fact that there is sufficient evidence to
abandon a refuted paradigm?

Best wishes,

Altug Yalcintas, Ankara University

---