From:
Samuel Bostaph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2011 07:50:03 -0700
"...it is evident, then, that the city belongs among the things that exist by nature, and that man is by nature a political animal." Aristotle, Politics, 1253a1-3 [Carnes Lord trans.]

And, I disagree with Plato to Collingwood.

This is to say that "politician" is an arbitrary designation. And if "they" may lie to men and women of good will, who may not? An oath is no substitute for good character and no end justifies any means. In fact, some moralists argue that the moral character of ends is the standard by which means are to be chosen. I know, I know, this implies an assumption of some absolute moral standard. Full disclosure: I'm one of those radicals.

Samuel Bostaph, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus of Economics

University of Dallas

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."--Winston Churchill