From:
"Duggan, Marie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:53:54 -0400
To conclude that the movie did not raise ethical issues among economists, I think you'd have to be closing your eyes.  Call me naive, but I was surprised. I would never have guessed that Larry Summers had earned a $10 million paycheck from Wall Street.  I mean, I figured he earned a good salary over there at Harvard, but I would have considered a professor to be the sort of person who was not financially involved with Wall Street profits, that his sympathy for financial markets would have been based purely on theory. It turns out such payments are common practice--given Mishkin and the Columbia professor as well.  In fact, almost every economist interviewed had earned quite a bit writing reports that justified financial markets.

My experience of human nature makes me think that if you get paid by people, you think they are nice guys.  I mean, even the $1500 the Franciscans gave me in graduate school has lead people to say I am a dupe of the Franciscans when investigating early California economic history, and given how much I appreciated $1500 at the time, maybe they have a point.  While I hope to be a disinterested analyst of Franciscan account books, I'll certainly disclose my payment in the introduction to any book I may sometime get to. And yes, I think we have a big problem in academic economics when so many people at the top are earning so much from the financial sector at a time when a plausible case can be made that the financial sector is dragging down the real sector of the economy, and fostering inequality of income to a drastic degree.

I also would have liked to see on this thread of this list more direct discussion of this idea that the economics profession has been bought off. People do not trust me when I say I'm an economist, they figure I have been bought off, too.  Our reputation as economists is in shambles, and deservedly so. What are we going to do to fix the problem?

Marie Christine Duggan
Assoc. Prof. of Economics
Keene State College
Keene, NH 03435-3400