From:
Adrian Yee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2018 16:45:56 +0000
Hi George DeMartino,

Apropos your recent question concerning the history of economists using counterfactual accounts of causation, William Stanley Jevons made the following comment in his Elementary Lessons in Logic (1888):

 “A necessary or indispensable antecedent is however identical with a cause, being that without which
the effect would not take place” (Jevons, 1888, p. 240).

REFERENCE

 Jevons, William Stanley. (1888/2010). Elementary Lessons in Logic: Deductive
& Inductive. Auburn, Alabama: Ludwig von Mises Institute. Print

Hope that helps,

Adrian K. Yee - PhD Student
History & Philosophy of Science
University of Toronto