From:
Robert Leeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2014 03:47:55 -0700
"gossip and malintent"?

Schumpeter “intended as a young man to be the greatest scholar, the greatest general and the greatest lover of his generation but sadly the circumstances of postwar Austria had denied him the possibility of a military career” (Galbraith 1981, 49). Hayek (1994, 83, 85) asserted that the designer of the modern British Welfare State, William Beveridge, failed on all three counts.

1. Beveridge was not a scholar: “He could write to any subject where he was given instruction ... he was completely ignorant of economics.”

2. As a ‘general’ (that is, LSE Director), his partner “really dominated affairs. She was a crude, energetic woman who knew what she wanted; completely dominated him.”

3. Hayek spread the rumour that she bemoaned that Beveridge suffered from erectile dysfunction: “He isn’t man enough; he isn’t man enough. I know.”  Hayek stated: “I personally believe that Beveridge was completely incapable of any sexuality” (cited by Dahrendorf 1995, 156).