From:
richard ebeling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 2015 19:10:08 -0500
Dear Dr. Leeson,

To be frank, I am shocked by your accusations about the views of Ludwig von
Mises.

To begin with, Mises was a strong advocate of democratic political
processes. In the 1920s and 1930s, as totalitarian and authoritarian
regimes were rising to power through many parts of Europe, Mises defended
liberal democracy -- going so far to say that if (classical) liberalism was
to fail in preventing these trends the proponents of liberal democracy had
no one to blame but themselves for not constructing stronger arguments to
persuade their fellow citizens. He forcefully argued against the idea that
demagogic methods could ever secure a free society in the long run. Only
better and sounder ideas could sustain a free society in that long run.

Second, to accuse Mises of racism is equally absurd. As a Jew, he was
himself a targeted victim of Nazi racism. In March of 1938, when Austria
was annexed by Nazi Germany, the Gestapo soon came looking for him in
Vienna. Fortunately, he was at that time in Geneva, Switzerland, holding a
teaching position at the Graduate Institute for International Studies. But
the Nazis broke into what had been his room in his former Vienna apartment
(which he had continued to sublet from the new tenants of that apartment)
and looted all of his personal and professional possessions.

If he had been in Vienna at that time he, no doubt, would have been
arrested, imprisoned and probably killed at some point.

Mises wrote in several of his writings on the biological and historical
wrong-headedness of the racial and racist theories of his time, and always
argued that the hallmark of a liberal democracy was an impartial rule of
law with equal civil rights and economic liberty for all in society.

Mises was also a strong proponent of free movement of people -- that is,
"open immigration." In December 1935, Mises penned an article on "The
Freedom to Move as an International Problem," criticizing countries like
Australia that limited non-whites from migrating and settling there.

Indeed, after Mises made that argument in his 1944 book, "Omnipotent
Government," the former Princeton University economist, Frank A. Fetter,
wrote to him suggesting that such ideas (due to racial biases in American)
was a position that was too out of step in the United States at that time.
Mises, to my knowledge, never changed his general position on the principle
of the freedom to move.

For some reason, that I cannot fathom, you have a seemingly unrestrained
desire to prove that somehow the ideas of members of the Austrian School
are tied to authoritarianism, racism, and almost anything else that you
disapprove of.

To my eyes and ears your mode of argumentation often seems to be *ad
hominem* attacks that have very little to do with the logic, reasoning and
substance of the economic theory and policy positions expressed over the
years by people such as Mises and Hayek (or other members of the Austrian
School).

Attempting to question their motives (and on that basis presumably
challenging the validity of their arguments) seems to be the essence of
your position.

Most Cordially,

Richard Ebeling

P.S.: If you want to find a well-known economist who did believe in
limiting the voting franchise, I suggest you look into John Stuart Mill's
"Considerations on Representative Government," in which he says that anyone
who receives welfare transfers should be denied the right to vote for as
long as they are on the dole (and for a period of time afterwards) due to a
conflict of interest in wanting to vote to pick other people's pockets in
society for their own benefit.