From:
James Ahiakpor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 14:05:39 -0700
Gordon Brady might find N. Gregory Mankiw's 1992 /European Economic
Review/ article titled, "The Reincarnation of Keynesian Economics,"
helpful on this.  Mankiw discusses 6 "Dubious Keynesian Propositions"
and concludes: "New Keynesian economics is far different from old
Keynesian economics -- so different, in fact, that today the label
'Keynesian' may generate more confusion than understanding.  With new
Keynesians looking so much like old classicals, perhaps we should
conclude that the tern 'Keynesian' has out-lived its usefulness.
Perhaps we need a new label to describe the school of macroeconomics
that accepts the existence of involuntary unemployment, monetary
non-neutrality, and sticky wages and prices.  Until a new label is
found, however, we can safely say that Keynesian economics is alive and
well."

Of course, if Mankiw read the classicals (including Alfred Marshall and
A.C. Pigou before 1950) in their original rather than Keynes's distorted
version of what they wrote, he would have found that the label that fits
what he is looking for is "Classical Macroeconomics."

James Ahiakpor

--
James C.W. Ahiakpor, Ph.D.
Professor&  Chair