From:
Марина Узунова <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:23:45 +0200
  Thank you, all, for the wonderful suggestions. Just in case there's someone else interested in and
benefiting
from them as well, I guess it's worth putting forward Maurice Lagueux's The forgotten role of the rationality principle in economics (2004).  Journal of Economic Methodology , 11(1), 31-55.
  Samuel, yes, although not just time but also context. Yet, I am not sure that the problem with indifference has to do with time-independence or that it makes sense even in the present. What's debatable is not so much that it suggests people make choices as (neoclassical) economists think they should but that it suggests they evaluate choices in this way. For indifference suggests that - even if taken just in the present - two distinct options are deemed of equal let's say value in the most general sense. A bottle of water and eight packs of chips might for an economist be only quantitatively different from three bottles and five packs (the closest the theory coming to a qualitative evaluation probably being the diminishing rate of MU). Hence, he is able to equate them. But is it so for the everyday decision maker (be it an economist or not) who would probably be more inclined to view them as qualitatively different and hence non-equalisable?

  M. U.