From:
Bruce Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 16:59:08 +0000
Dear SHOE list:

I have another quote I am trying to track down. Herbert Tingsten, a Swedish political scientist who had recently become the editor-in-chief of the Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter, attended the 1947 Mont Pelerin Society meeting and at one point in a discussion said,

It has been said that "If myths are not put forward by philosophers, then they will be put forward by other people, and then they will be worse myths. Therefore they should be put forward by philosophers." But I don't think this is true.

Does anyone have any idea what he might be quoting from or referring to? It was an ad lib quotation from memory, so it is probably not exact. It may be from a Swedish source.  Or it may have been said to him by a friend, or he may have just read it in the newspaper, or something like that. Who knows, he may have just made it up!  Any help anyone might be able to give will be much appreciated.

Bruce Caldwell