Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:34:00 -0600
Are we all supposed to set aside detailed inquiries into 'the business of
every day life' and turn our attention wholly to the 'big picture'? There
must be thousands of other economists like me who are diffident about our
ability to add anything of value to the kind of conversation that Smith and
Marx and Mill and Keynes and Hayek and Friedman are said to have promoted,
and more modest in the scientific goals we set for ourselves. I hope that
Paul's message is not that we are wasting our time.

Anthony Waterman