Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From: "K. Patrick Ober" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 17:48:34 -0500
In followup of the recent discussion of MT's opinion of J. Austen, I note
that several similar comments are quoted in a recently published volume
entitled "Mark My Words: Mark Twain on Writing", edited by Mark Dawidziak
(which contains a number of quotes and comments on literary matters by
Twain, some of which are well-recognized, and some of which will be "new"
to most readers).

>From a 1903 letter to Howells: " I've a great mind to have it out with you
about Jane Austen.  If you say much more I'll come out and read Pride and
Prejudice to you."

>From Following the Equator: "Jane Austen's books, too, are absent from this
library.  Just that one omission alone would make a fairly good library out
of a library that hadn't a book in it."

>From an 1898 letter to Twichell:  "I haven't any right to criticize books,
and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticize Jane
Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the
reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin."

Patrick Ober
Wake Forest University