Sender:
From:
Paul Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 23:39:01 -0800
>Does any additional information exist on the following individuals who
>were a part of Mark Twain's travels in the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii) in
>1866:

>2.  Mr. Edward Howard, from England, who after a chance meeting on the
>islands, accompanied Clemens on horseback for a portion of the islands
>tour.  Howard returned to San Francisco from Hawaii the same date as
>Clemens, although on a different ship.  Clemens later referred to "Ned"
>Howard years later in a letter from Buffalo: "I like to talk with him
>and I buy little jewelry trifles there..."

Barb,

I took up your search for the Englishman Howard who accompanied
Clemens on horseback in Hawaii.  During my search, Howard (Edward
Tasker Howard 1844?-1918) became an American jeweler who lived
in both New York and San Francisco.   And those Hawaiian horses
became mules.

On December 20, 1870, SLC wrote to A. Francis Judd,

   "Friend Howard -[Howard crossed out] Judd,
       (Your letter made me think of Ned Howard,  & unconsciously I
wrote  the name.)  I don't think an enormous deal of Howard, though
that's nothing against him, of course.  Tastes differ, & 200 miles
mule-back in company is the next best thing to a sea-voyage to bring a
man's worst points to the surface.  Ned &  I like each other, but we
don't love, & we never did.  I like to talk with him, & I buy little
jewelry trifles there, but we don't embrace -  I would as soon think of
embracing a fish, or an icicle, or any other particular, cold &
unemotional thing - say a dead stranger, for instance..."

The quote above is from  _Mark Twain's Letters, Volume 4_ , 278 (UC
Press) edited by Victor Fischer & Michael B. Frank of the Mark Twain
Project at Berkeley.  In a note, the editors say that Howard  "...had
been Clemen's reluctant travel companion in Hawaii in June 1866.  Howard
was now a jeweler in New York: see L1, 346n10, and Austin, 250-54 (both
misidentifying Howard as an Englishman), and RI 1993,  736-737."

The note in _Roughing It 1993_ (UC Press) (page 736-737) cites two
references to Howard in the New York Times:  9 Aug 1918, 11 (this may be
Howard's obituary) and 3 Oct 1866, 3, an advertisement.

I hope this helps.

Paul Berkowitz ([log in to unmask])