=?windows-1252?Q?Kent_Rasmussen?= <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Aug 2011 18:21:16 -0400
Thanks for that, Kevin. I figured you might reply. When I wrote my
original note, I was thinking of your terrific presentation on Stormfield
at Elmira and recalled your discussion of Clara's rooms.

Not much mystery about the room in which Mark Twain himself was born. The
recent Hannibal conference included a visit to the Mark Twain Birthplace
Museum in Florida, where the house in which he was born is preserved. We
could actually touch the outside of the house and stick our heads in it
through the windows and doorways. The two-room house is so small, people
reaching in through the windows on opposite sides could practically shake
hands. Incidentally, we also visited the original site of the house. Not
much to see there now, but it was exciting merely to be at the site. (Mark
Twain warn't kidding when he described Florida as "nearly invisible."
According to Henry, the town's present population is zero. Anyone born
there now would increase the population by a a great deal more than 1
percent.)