Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2020 17:44:22 +0000
From:
Mac Donnell Rare Books <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
See John Cooley's Mark Twain's Aquarium (p 104) for good info on those
pins as well as the document Twain drew up organizing the club, and
naming himself, his daughter Clara, and Isabel Lyon as officers.

I own four variations of the pins (they came in two sizes):

Joy Paine's small pin (she was too young to be an "official" angelfish
but was given a pin), from Paine estate.

Twain's own pin, larger than those given the girls, with a white wreath
around it, from Paine's estate.

A hat pin (large) that belonged to Isabel Lyon.

Clara's small pin, mounted as a pendant along with Twain's gold half of
the clamshell he divided between himself and Angelfish Margaret
Blackmer. These are from Clara's estate.

Louise Paine gave her own pin to the Mark Twain Library in Redding. I
think some spare pins were retained in Paine's papers and files when MTP
acquired what was left a few years ago.

Somebody showed up on Antiques Roadshow years ago with a horrible piece
of costume jewelry that supposedly had belonged to an angelfish, and the
appraiser, in a hilarious leap of faith (aka confirmation bias), decided
it was an angelfish pin. I think the Antiques Roadshow people later
removed that from their online archives.

The pins Twain used were made in Norway and sold commercially, so it is
critical that there be a rock-solid provenance with any particular pin.

I never wear mine; I have no accessorizing skills.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive