From:
Mitch Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 17:07:28 -0800
At 09:50 AM 2/5/98 -0800, Ellen Oster wrote:

>At the end of the book "Young Reporter Mark Twain in Virginia City" by
>Katharine Hillyer (1964) there is an 1896 photo of Twain on a beach on
>the east coast. The photo cutline concludes "The photo is reproduced
>courtesy of descendent Samuel L. Clemens of Missouri." Was there a
>descendent who took on the name SLC ? Am ignorant of his descendents,
>and of Clara's children, if any. Can someone enlighten?

Excellent question. I've been interested for a while in finding out more
about Clara's life after the death of her father, and haven't seen much of
anything at all on the subject. I recall reading a passing mention in a
novel that the last surviving descendant of Mark Twain - a grandchild -
died under rather sad circumstances  in 1967, alone and drunk and broke in
a motel room. True?

(Ah, that great source of information - "I read it somewhere, sometime a
while ago.")

mitch w.