"Robert H. HIRST" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Dec 2016 09:28:42 -0800
From *Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer among the Indians, and Other Unfinished
Stories.* p.319:

Foreman (or Forman), James A. (Jim) (1835?-1903), was a Hannibal clerk who
in 1850, like Clemens, joined the Cadets of Temperance. By 1854 he was
clerking in a St. Louis dry goods store. Clemens and Foreman met again in
May 1902 in St. Louis, where Foreman was a cashier in a printing firm. That
summer Clemens wrote Anna Laura Hawkins Frazer: "Guess again! Jim Foreman
is in one of the books, but you have not spotted him" . . . A page of
Clemens's Hannibal notes includes the phrase "Jim Foreman the model boy"
and identifies Foreman's fictional counterpart--the "Model Boy, Willie
Mufferson," who appears in chapter 5 of

*Tom Sawyer.*
In "Villagers" (p. 99): "*Jim Foreman.* Clerk. Pomeroy Benton & Co.,
Handkerchief."