From:
Peter Messent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:37:39 +0100
I've just come across Jonathan Arac's essay on 'The Struggle for the
Cultural Heritage: Christina Stead Refunctions Charles Dickens and Mark
Twain' in Cultural Critique
<http://www.jstor.org/action/showPublication?journalCode=culturalcritiqu
e> , No. 2 (Winter, 1985-1986), pp. 171-189. Arac is always is worth
reading, here on the way Christina Stead's novel of 1940, The Man Who
Loved Children, 'takes two cultural treasures of Popular Front leftist
humanism, Charles Dickens and Mark Twain, and shatters them as false
idols, even while finding within their works resources that make her own
work possible.' I send this information to the Forum, as I had not
previously come across mention of this essay and thought others might be
in a similar position. Cheers. Pete (Messent)