Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From: Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:58:38 -0500
Nice to see our guy on the front cover. Jerry Loving's excellent biography
gets a good mention, but the other recent books on Twain just get a passing
mention without even naming names except for the recent book on Twain and
food (a real page-turner if you're a foodie AND a Twainian, although Twain
fades from the pages in the second half of the book ). The extract from the
new (due in Nov.) Berkeley edition of THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY on page 41 is a good
teaser, but on page 40 they misidentify Jean as Clara. You can't miss the
large sharp reproduction of the Alvin Coburn color photo of Twain laying in
bed.. For reasons I could not quite grasp, the writer (Jones, their book
editor) dwells at some length on the darkness of the claymation film of
MYSTERIOUS STRANGER, seeming to confuse claymation with films for children,
but maybe I misunderstood him.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books